Circulation & Check-out

Get a Library card

Your first library card is available free of charge. A replacement card costs $1. You must apply in person and show current photo identification (driver’s license or state ID card) AND proof of residency (driver’s license, checkbook, utility bill, or recent piece of mail with your current address printed on it). Parents must sign the application form of children under the age of 16. Download a library card application in English or Espanol (pdf) and bring it to the library with you to expedite service. Please inform us about any change of residential address, phone number, or email address.  Please call 608-835-3656 to report lost or stolen library cards. You are responsible for any items checked out on your card. Your library card is good at any South Central Library System public library in Wisconsin (serving Adams, Columbia, Dane, Green, Portage, Sauk and Wood counties).

Loan periods for Library materials

  • 28 days for non-fiction, regular fiction books and audio books
  • 14 days for new fiction, lucky day collection, compact discs, and magazines
  • 7 days for videotapes & DVDs


  • 50¢ per day for DVDs (adult and teen items)
  • 20¢ per day for all other materials (adult and teen items)
  • No fines are charged for overdue children’s materials

Patrons with senior citizen status (65 and over) are not charged overdue fines for any materials, but are still charged for lost or damaged materials. If charges reach $20 borrowing privileges will be suspended.

Return & renew materials

Materials may be returned to the Circulation Desk or placed in the book drop outside.  Items returned to the book drop before the library opens the following morning will be checked in as if they were returned the previous open day.  Items borrowed from one South Central Library System (SCLS) library may be returned to any other SCLS library. Most materials can be renewed up to two times if there are no hold requests pending. Renewals can be made at the library, through LINKcat ( or through TeleCirc by calling (608) 242-4700.

LINKcat: Accessing your library record and placing holds

You may review a list of materials checked out and their due dates, renew materials, place holds for materials or check the status of your holds by accessing your library record in LINKcat (  Your library card barcode and PIN number are required to access your record. For help using LINKcat, go to the LINKcat Help page ( or call the library at 835-3656.

Outer Library Loan: Request items not found in LINKcat

You can request materials not found in Linkcat by filling out an Outer Library Loan (OLL) form. After filling out the form return it to the Oregon Public Library Information Desk: OLL Outer Library Loan form (PDF).  Before filling out the form, please read the following General guidelines for requesting Outerlibrary Loan materials (PDF).

Authorize others to pick up my library materials

If your child is under the age of 16 their library materials may be picked up by a parent or guardian.  The library is not able to release your materials to someone else if you are aged 16 and older unless the person who is picking up your materials has your library card or if you complete a form which authorizes them to do so.  You may print out the Holds Authorization Form (pdf) and complete it before bringing it into the library.  The library will put a note on the record(s) of the person(s) you designate as authorized. Forms are available at the library Circulation desk if you are unable to print from home.