Newspaper Obituary searching on LinkCat: http://sclsp.kohalibrary.com/
- Recent obituaries from 11/19/2004 to present can be viewed, many without images, at the Wisconsin State Journal web site (as can recent birth announcements).
- NewspaperArchive covers Madison history from 1838-2013 and allow you to further understand an ancestor's place within their local community to research your genealogy. A valid library card is needed to access NewspaperArchive outside of the library.
Magazines we carry in library:
- Family Tree
Viewscan Microfilm Reader
Read about our history on film. Check out our computerized microfilm reader.
Our microfilm reader also can read microfiche, scan camera slides and old photographs.
We have the Oregon Observer from 1881- 2011 on film and US Census Dane County for 1850-1870 and Dodge County for 1850. Current year and one year previous are available in print format in library.
- Ancestry Library (Available in-library only.)
Genealogy information, including census data, passenger lists, and more.
- Family Search Search FamilySearch records, resources, and services to learn more about your family history.
- HeritageQuest Genealogy records and books, including census data, local histories, tax rolls, cemetery lists, etc.
- NewspaperARCHIVE Searchable newspaper pages, dating as far back as the 1700s.
Local Marriages and Deaths index file
Village of Oregon Cemeteries:
Prairie Mound Cemetery:
Cemetery records are at Village Hall. They are on index cards and organized by owner of the grave, obituaries, and section of the grave. The index cards are accessible by Village Hall staff who are willing to make copies.
For Prairie Mound cemetery records, contact:
Village of Oregon
117 Spring Street
Oregon, WI 53575
St. Mary’s Holy Mother of Consolation Church Cemetery:
(across from Prairie Mound Cemetery).
For Catholic records, please contact:
Holy Mother of Consolation Church
651 N. Main Street
Oregon, WI 53575
If you want a specific marriage notice or obituary for a deceased Oregon resident, the Oregon Public Library has an Obituary File and Marriage index file by last name available during normal library hours. The marriage file is by last names as found in the Oregon Observer 1881-1945. Full marriage notices can then be viewed on the microfilm reader.
Other Genealogy Resources
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Internet Sites A collection of around 100,000 links that have been organized and cross-referenced in over 100 categories
- Dane County Genealogical Society Includes links, DCGS newsletters, and upcoming events.
- Municipal Records, Office of the Secretary of State of Wisconsin Search the digital archives of municipal records by counties and cities housed at the Secretary of State of Wisconsin. Some records go back to the mid-1800s.
- National Archives The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
- Oregon Area Historical Society 159 W. Lincoln, Oregon, WI 53575
- Recollection Wisconsin Links to various online collections from around the state and even includes yearbooks from colleges and high schools.
- Social Security Death Index is now available thru Ancestry.com. (in library use only).
- Wisconsin Historical Society Offers a number of links (under Archives) to sites of historical interest in Wisconsin. For the holdings of the State Historical Society, use the University of Wisconsin-Madison's card catalog.
- Wisconsin Local History and Biography Articles Image files of historical and biographical articles preserved in scrapbooks at the Wisconsin Historical Society, mainly between 1860-1940. Searchable by headline, subject, newspaper, location, date, and name.