1898 - Present
1898 - 35 families belonged to a subscription library known as Parmalee's. These families paid $3.00 a month and every three months a box of 50 books arrived at the library, which was located in CC Peast's Drug Store. This library structure was fairly common at the time.
Picture courtesy of OAHS.
1908 - The first public library was established in Oregon when Mrs. William Bennett started a lending library in a room above the Criddle Drug Store located at 113 S. Main Street (see image below). The rent was five dollars a month.
115 S Main St. (1908 location- 113 S Main, upstairs) Photo Courtesy of OAHS.
1910 - The official Library was established and became part of the Village.
1914 - The library moved to a room over the McDermott Building at 105 S Main Street.
The McDermott Building. (1914 location) Photo courtesy of OAHS.
1916 - The library moved to the Netherwood Block.
Netherwood Block. (1916 location) Photo Courtesy of OAHS.
1941 - The library moved to the Village Hall building, 117 Spring Street.
Current picture of Village Hall. (1941 library location). Picture courtesy of OAHS.
May 1980 - The library moved to 219 Park Street (formerly Paul’s SuperMarket, now the Oregon Senior Center)
December 1995 - The library moved to its current location at 256 Brook Street.
256 Brook St. 2014 photo.
2010 Centennial Information